Acne – Can leave a trace for a lifetime if untreated
Nine out of ten teenagers are affected, three seriously, which really tries them psychically. Severe cases are more common among boys. This is acne, or pimple as used commonly.
Most people visit the dermatologist with this problem, this is not only because it is very common, but also that the purulent, inflamed nodules develop in a clearly visible place, on the face, the chest and the back. In addition, if not treated or treated badly, it leaves scars or brown spots (hyperpigmentation) that last for a lifetime. This is also a question of aesthetic problems that burden the people spiritually.
What is acne exactly?
A chronic inflammatory disease affecting the skin’s parts rich in sebum (face, back, chest). Therefore, sebum plays an important role in the development of acne. However, it also has a useful role: sebum production is the natural protection mechanism of the skin, so our body keeps our skin moist and protects it from dehydration and infections.
What can cause it?
- Few people know but genes play a role in the development of acne skin, unfortunately the predisposition can be genetic, inherited.
- Cellular differences and certain immune processes may also trigger it.
- The function of sebum cell and the composition of sebum.
- Various internal organ diseases.
What affects it?
- Lifestyle – The current psychological state has a great effect on the skin. For example, acne skin is common in anxious people, and those with compulsive personal hygiene.
- Nutrition – You often hear that e.g. chocolate predisposes acne, however, there is no scientifically proven evidence for this. However, it is a fact that any food with high glycaemic index (which suddenly raises blood sugar levels) can trigger acne. Oily seeds and excessive protein intake should also be avoided.
- Hormonal fluctuations – This is why this problem is common in teenagers, since the hormone system is completely stirred up. It may occur after stopping contraceptive pill or in case of PCOS disease.
There are several stages depending on the severity from blackheads to the larger inflamed nodules healing with scars.
What to do and what not to do?
|Do not push the inflamed acne, especially with dirty hands, as this will over-infect our skin.||Drink lots of water, it is very important to hydrate the skin both from the inside and the outside.|
|Do not treat yourself based on information found on the Internet because there are a lot of misconceptions about the subject.||Use a moisturizer. If our skin is dry, it cannot empty the sebum, it is trapped in the skin.|
|If your skin is very inflamed, do not go to the beautician, because if they are pressed, then the situation will be worse.||Women who use liquid make-up should choose one that is not comedogenic.|
|Always touch the creams with a clean hand or mostly with some clean wand, because it can abound with bacillus, the best are pump products.||It is very important that cleaning is done with a special cleanser and incorporated into our daily routine.|
How can a dermatologist help you?
Dermatologist specialist is a complex thinking specialist who explores possible co-morbidities, root causes, before starting skin treatment. In the case of adult acne, it is important to exclude certain gynaecological problems (e.g. PCOS) and dental or ear-nose-throat focus. Digestive problems, food intolerances can also cause acne skin, therefore their exclusion by a gastroenterologist is also important. The spiritual origin is not a negligible root cause, and so must be dealt with.
Treatment can be started after exclusion of co-morbidities, which is always tailored to age, gender and the specific patient. Even for this reason, it is not worth falling for the practices circulating on the internet, since there are no two identical cases; just because it helped the neighbour, it is still not sure that it will help us!
- If the situation is not very serious, the specialist will first recommend creams, or a combination of creams.
- Taking contraceptives may mean a solution for women.
- Some cases require the use of antibiotics during therapy.
- Many people are afraid of taking retinoids, these are Vitamin A derivatives with outstanding efficiency for acne. In fact, they can cause unwanted side effects, but they can be used with high efficiency under close medical control.
Little is told about it, but each therapy is a patience game, the effect usually only occurs in months. It is important not to change the therapies too often, leaving enough time for the effect. Trained, experienced dermatologists are waiting for you in Swiss Premium Medical Centres, book an appointment on +36 1 225 0566!
Author: Anna Andrusch MD