Ear-nose-throat nodule detection
There may be a need for collaboration between a number of medical professions if a nodule is causing the complaints of the patient. Specialists often send patients to ear-nose-throat specialists to find out whether or not a hidden nodule-origin complaint causes the long-standing symptoms or the symptoms not improving for therapy.
In April, we offer a 20% discount on the price of the first ear-nose-throat specialist examination, which is available for 18 000 HUF.
Most often, the ear-nose-throat specialist is in connection with the following surgeries during nodule detection:
- dermatology – The symptoms of severe acne skin may also be worsened by tonsil nodules, this is particularly true of 15-25 age group.
- rheumatology and orthopaedics – In connection with the examination of different, tough joint inflammations.
- dentistry – The most serious cervical soft tissue inflammation is often caused by dental lesions, tooth root abscess. Upper teeth can cause sinus cysts.
- neurology – There may be a possibility of ear-nose-throat lesion during the examination of atypical facial nerve pains, headaches (the proper diagnostics is important).
- urology – In case of chronic inflammation not improving for antibiotics.
- gynaecology – Lower abdominal-pelvic cysts can be detected during nodule examinations.
What are we looking for during ear-nose-throat nodule detection?
Streptococcus and Staphylococcus are, in general, pyogenic bacteria that may be responsible for diseases ranging from everyday throat inflammation that can be treated locally, to complicated cases, and even for arthritis, and endocarditis, and abscess formation.
The ear-nose-throat specialist ascertains the presence of these bacteria after physical examination – if necessary – with throat swab culture, and blood sampling may be required to monitor AST value. The level of this in the blood may indicate that there is a bacterial nodule in the body that is caused by Streptococcus.
Recurrent tonsillitis can be a source of many problems, but it is important to note that this is an important organ, especially in childhood, because it is an antigen presenting organ. It works as part of the immune system and helps the body fight against upper respiratory tract infections. It is therefore a common practice in the West that only a part of the tonsil is removed by doctors if surgery becomes necessary.
Patients very often adapt their life-style to their sensitive tonsils, and when the specialist asks, it turns out that if they eat or drink cold, their throats, their tonsils are more likely to get inflamed, thus they avoid this instinctively. However, this cannot be the solution, as it restricts the patient in his or her lifestyle, and it is worth examining the recurring symptoms.
Imaging diagnostics for nodule detection
Patients, mainly from the neurological direction, often arrive with a difference in MR scan, however, this is not always appropriate for the ear-nose-throat specialist, as it may show false positive results. For sinus diagnostics, we recommend the use of paranasal sinus CT (computer tomography) or CBCT (cone-beam CT).
Prepared ear-nose-throat specialists are waiting for you at Swiss Premium Medical Center, book an appointment on +36 1 225 0566!